Imo Self Help Organization (ISHO) started as an academic Project in 1984 with the center for Applied Religion and Education Ibadan with the theme "Finding Alternative for the Poor" by the Program Coordinator, Rt. Rev. G. C. Echefu . Due to scarce financial problems it could not take off as a Practical Project until 1989. During this period it operated as a non-formal organization with the name Mbaitoli Ikedure Self Help Organization (MISHO) Mbaitili -Ikeduru being a local Government Area then.
With the registration under Imo State Ministry of Trade and Industries, cooperate Division in 1990, Imo Self Help Organization ISHO was born. later as the scope continued to widen further, legal backings were embanked upon and to match the taste of International Agencies. In 1995 ISHO was registered with the corporate Affairs Commission Abuja.
MAIN PREVIOUS AND ONGOING PROJECTS:
Type, donor(s), implementation period
- ISHO was in collaboration with UNICEF Zonal Office Enugu to set up over 174 early child care Centres in Imo state and also trained teachers known as care givers and parent in toy making and other out door facilities for games 1995- 1998.
- ISHO acted as agent during state immunization programme by providing vehicle and ice pack coolers and also staff personnel in 1993.
- ISHO worked with EU/FGN Micro Projects Program (MPP6) in 6 Oil producing States of Niger Delta for the provision of rural infrastructure like water Bore Hole and provision of sanitary facilities, health centres and classroom blocks. ISHO also carried out capacity building training for their Project Management Committee (P.M.C.) members on how to manage the established projects for sustainability.
- ISHO has built oil palm processing mills for communities and given micro credit loans to rural communities in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A., Umuagwo-Ejemekwuru and Obiti 1998-1999
- ISHO has delivered microcredit services to 3 Anglican Dioceses scattered across three L.G.As. in Imo State(Mbaise, Ideato and Mbano) in partnership with Five Talents International (FTI) USA. 2003-2007.
- ISHO worked with UNDP and delivered Microcredit to 8 Communities in Imo State under UNDP/Imo State Microstart programme . 2001-2002.
- ISHO is currently working with TACT (The Akabusi Charitable Trust) UK on a grant it received for provision of microcredit services to traders in Owerri West L.G.A in Imo State. 2008 till date.
- ISHO workin in collaboration with Australian Embassy AUSAID received a grant from the Embassy for a Poultry farm for brooding of birds and selling same to the local community.